Distress Centre Durham currently has no spaces for placement students until September 2017.
To be eligible for field placement with Distress Centre Durham, all students must successfully complete the DCD Screening and Training program. This program which mirrors the volunteer helpline worker program includes:
- Submission of written application (copy of application and info package attached)
- Pre – screen interview
- Adequate Police Records Check
- Adequate Reference Check
- Successfully meeting the requirements of Basic Training Sessions 1 & 2 (criteria outlined in info package)
Students will be engaged in the following activities:
- Answering helpline call: 40%
- Participation in Community Presentations / Support Group Facilitation: 10%
- Caller Case Management (with staff): 10%
- Updates to Resource Centre Materials: 10%
- Updates to Community Resources Database: 10%
- Participation in Fundraising planning and events: 10%
- Administrative Duties as assigned: 10%
For more information about our student placement opportunities, please contact Susan Ward, Director of Volunteer Resources at 905-430-3511 or e-mail her at firstname.lastname@example.org.